Listen Here: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-filmmakers-podcast/id1280468643?i=1000588949966
Today, Dom Lenoir welcomes one of the biggest guests we’ve ever had on the podcast: director Joseph Kosinski. His filmography includes feature films like Tron: Legacy (2010), Oblivion (2013), Only the Brave (2017), and Top Gun: Maverick (2022), starring legendary actors such as Tom Cruise, Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Jon Hamm, Ed Harris, and Val Kilmer to name a few. Top Gun: Maverick grossed over $1 billion at the box office, making it the highest-grossing film of 2022.
Joseph definitely knows what he’s doing. And we sat down with him for almost an hour to let him talk about
· working with legendary producer Jerry Bruckheimer
· pitching Top Gun: Maverick to Tom Cruise
· developing and making a Blockbuster
· getting the cast and crew together
· the importance of good taste
· notes and test audiences
· IMAX, cameras and working with the DOP
· the opening of the film
· the most difficult scenes to shoot
· directing Tom Cruise & Miles Teller
· rewriting the film in the edit
· working with composer Hans Zimmer & Lady Gaga
Top Gun: Maverick is easily one of our favourite films of the year. If you haven’t seen it, do check it out as soon as possible. It’s a movie made for the cinema. But for now, sit back, relax and enjoy our conversation with legendary director Joseph Kosinski.
TOP GUN: MAVERICK is out in cinemas again!!
After thirty years, Maverick is still pushing the envelope as a top naval aviator, but must confront ghosts of his past when he leads TOP GUN’s elite graduates on a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice from those chosen to fly it.